Department of Chemistry - Scope & Opportunities
|Scope of Chemistry
Since Chemistry as a subject is central to the study of both physical
and biological sciences, it offers a lot of scope to the graduates in
the discipline. Opportunities for Higher Education: M. Sc. (Chemistry)
from Delhi and other Universities and the different IIT’s. Integrated
Ph. D. programmes in Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, some IIT’s
like Chennai and Mumbai and TIFR, Mumbai.
- M. Sc. in Biotechnology from JNU, Madurai Kamaraj University, Punjab
University and others.
- M. Tech. in Chemistry and related fields in University Department
of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.
- Students may avail of Nehru, Radha Krishnan, Inlaks and Rhodes Scholarships
to go to U.K. for higher studies.
- Students may appear for the GRE and go to the USA for higher studies
– though most students prefer to go after M. Sc.
- After graduation in Chemistry, students are eligible to appear for
the following Entrance Examinations:
- MCA, MBA, Mass Communication, Environmental Management (e.g. in
G.G.S. Indraprastha University), M.Sc. Life Sciences & Environmental
Science in JNU, M. Sc. (Biochemistry) in South Campus, M.Sc. (Industrial
Chemistry) in Jamia Hamdard University, Law, B.Ed., Fashion Technology,
Indian Institute of Statistical Research and others
- Chemistry graduates are recruited by pharmaceutical
companies as Medical Representatives.
- Chemistry graduates are eligible for BARC Entrance
Examination for recruitment as scientists.
- Institutes and organisations such as Sri Ram Institute
of Industrial Research, Dabur Research Foundation etc. recruit science
graduates as technical assistants.
- Like other graduates, chemistry graduates may appear
for Entrance Examinations to the Civil Services & Banking Services.
- Jobs as scientists of various denominations are
available through entrance examinations in CSIR, DRDO, ONGC, GSI,
BIS and other scientific organisations after post-graduation in chemistry
or allied fields.
- Some companies recruit fresh graduates as Management
Trainees and give them on-the-job training.